Bamboo blends. I keep trying to love them – I really do – but they don’t love me back. I stuck with it though and finished this braid.
The Process (Ravelry page)
- 50% merino wool, 25% bamboo, 25% silk combed commercial top
- Combed top from Fiber Fancy (it appears her Etsy store has been closed)
- 4.1 ounces unspun; 3.8 ounces spun
- 494 yards / 2080 yards per pound
- 19 wraps per inch (light fingering)
- Spun on my Hansen miniSpinner on the lace flyer, plied on the Woolee Winder
I tore the top into strips for predrafting, mostly because I prefer predrafting and wanted to make sure the bamboo and silk were opened up. Also, some of the bamboo and silk bits were short and didn’t draft out smoothly. I spun the singles together as a two ply.
What Will it Grow Up to Be
Hmm. I liked the fall colors initially but did not expect so much orange. I’d like to tone it down a bit but I’m not looking to overdye this one. Instead, I think I’m going to knit this yarn in stripes or block with an olive green yarn. I think that combination would make a nice fall shawl or cowl.