I started this a very extremely embarrassingly long time ago. And then it sat when I hurt my back and got my e-spinner. But I picked it back up this fall/winter and finally finished.
The Basics (Ravelry page)
- Hand carded batt from Tomorrow Farm, which is now called Camelot Dyeworks
- The colorway is Emma and was part of a Once Upon a Time Spin-a-long. Fiber content was alpaca, tencel, merino and faux cashmere
- 4.2 ounces unspun; 3.9 ounces spun
- 562 yards / 2313 yards per pound
- 21 wraps per inch (a very light fingering)
- Spun the singles on my Kromski Sonata, plied on the Hansen Minispinner Woolee Winder flier
I tore the batt into a long strip and then predrafted as I went. I had to stop frequently anyways to pull out neps and veg matter so it wasn’t a lot of additional stopping to predraft. This fiber combination did not draft out smoothly – certain sections had to be pulled apart with a lot of force. I spun the singles together as a two ply.
What Will it Grow Up to Be
I considered plying this with something else to get more yardage but didn’t want the barber-pole effect. So instead I plan to spin up some medium heather gray alpaca and make them into a two-color shawl.